[Users] change default value of CarpetRegrid2's min_distance

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:22:13 CDT 2011

Hello all,

I would like to propose change the default value of
CarpetRegrid2::min_distance parameter from 4 (grid points) to 0.

Currently:
--8<--
CCTK_INT min_distance "Minimum distance (in grid points) between coarse
and fine grid boundaries" STEERABLE=always
{
   0:* :: ""
} 4
--8<--

and min_distance is used in enlarged_fine_grid to enforce a minimum
distance between grid levels. A distance of 0 means that the end of the
buffer+ghost zone region of the fine grid touches the end of the active
(ie. non-buffer) region of the coarse grid.

This can have unexpected effects when specifying "tight" boxes via the
radius_n[] parameters when trying to translate old CarpetRegrid
parameter files, since the radius_n[] parameters are no longer what
actually specifies the final grid size. It also (I think) makes
CarpetRegrid2 with boxes create a different grid than the equivalent
manual-coordinates description in CarpetRegrid.

Making min_distance's default value zero reduces the number of
parameters the affect the grid structure in the default setting and
makes it the user's responsibility to choose a decent (maybe 4) value
for the emergency distance parameter min_distance.

For the amr implementation in CarpetRegrid2 min_distance is also used
and might be much more useful then for the nested boxes currently used.
There a default of 4 is probably more sensible.

Any comments on this?