[Users] OpenMP problem in Hydro_Analysis

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:16:19 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:45:11PM -0400, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> "I suggest to switch off OpenMP in this routine, to insert a check
> whether a single component contains multiple maxima and treat this the
> same as when several components contain multiple maxima

I agree. This algorithm is expected to work poorly for multiple maxima,
which is documented (but only poorly: as [long] comments in the source
code).

>, and to set
> the location of the maximum to a special error value (or to introduce
> an error flag) so that it is obvious when the routine fails."

This would also require code which relies on the current non-setting of
the location in case of multiple maxima to be changed. In particular,
this is true for neutron star trackers which use the location of the
maxima as criterion for regridding, and which should not try to regrid
at a special error value (and thus fail. An error flag together with not
setting a new maxima would circumvent that.

Of course, a much better solution for the regridding would be an entirely
different algorithm, which I think everybody agrees to. I don't know of
any other application which actually uses the location of the maximum.

Frank