[Users] Meeting minutes

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue May 24 11:11:48 CDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> On 24 May 2011, at 17:50, Erik Schnetter wrote:

>>> OK good, so we know where the problem is.

>>> The time prolongation is only 3rd order accurate so I wouldn't expect convergence at 4th order.
>>
>> Time prolongation is second order accurate.
>
> As I understand it, the three-point interpolation (from the three timelevels) is locally 3rd order accurate, but when you add up T/dt of them to get to a fixed time, you reduce the order to 2.  I tend to get confused about this, but do we agree on this?

Counting orders is always difficult. There are three time levels for
each point, which prescribe a parabola. This is used to interpolate,
with an error term in O(dt^3). If you add up T/dt to get to a fixed
time, the error is in O(dt^2), which I would call "first order
accurate".

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/