[Users] Cactus-built LAPACK, BLAS giving incorrect results

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri May 27 15:19:47 CDT 2011

Bernard

Here are some possible explanations:

(1) That's impossible.

(2) You sent this on April 1, and the message got delayed.

(3) Some sort of weird compiler problem. Can you re-build from scratch
without optimisation? Can you look at the screen when LAPACK/BLAS are
compiled to ensure that these are also built without optimisation?

(4) A linker problem, and the code actually uses a different (not the
Cactus built-in version) of LAPACK/BLAS. Can you rebuild with
SILENT=no as make option, and look at the final link line to see which
LAPACK and BLAS versions are used?

(5) In case you use shared libraries: Can you use "ldd" or "otool -L"
on the final executable and look which version of LAPCK/BLAS are used?

(6) If you have LAPACK/BLAS installed in a system directory, then
Cactus may pick up one of these instead of the built-in one. It is
difficult to say which are used; you would need to pass a flag to the
linker to make it output that information. Can you try adding "-Wl,-v"
(or the equivalent of -v) to LDFLAGS, and then look at the screen
output while linking, where the actual LAPACK/BLAS file names that are
used should be printed?

(7) The Fortran 77 ABI is very standard. Even mixing different
versions won't lead to such a problem. This can't happen.

-erik

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Kelly, Bernard J.
(GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY]

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/