[Users] Cactus-built LAPACK, BLAS giving incorrect results

Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov
Sat May 28 07:29:40 CDT 2011

Hi Erik.

On 5/27/11 7:20 PM, "Erik Schnetter" <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

>>>(4) A linker problem, and the code actually uses a different (not the
>>>Cactus built-in version) of LAPACK/BLAS. Can you rebuild with
>>>SILENT=no as make option, and look at the final link line to see which
>>>LAPACK and BLAS versions are used?
>>
>> That's not it. I explicitly linked that simple test program against the
>> Cactus-built LAPACK + BLAS:
>>
>> ifort lapack_test.F90 -o lapack_test.exe
>> -L../configs/handpugh/scratch/external/LAPACK -llapack
>> -L../configs/handpugh/scratch/external/BLAS -lblas
>>
>> ... and that's where I got the wrong results ...
>
>It may still be that another library called "lapack" is found first.
>Can you leave out all -L and -l options, and give the library name
>directly?
>
>ifort lapack_test.F90 -o lapack_test.exe
>../configs/handpugh/scratch/external/LAPACK/liblapack.a
>../configs/handpugh/scratch/external/BLAS/libblas.a

I've tried this variation, with no difference in result. I also switched
from using mpiF90 etc to using the Intel compilers directly, with no
different in result.

Beany

P.S. Since I didn't include it in the original mail, perhaps I should
quote all my user-specified Cactus config options. Since I switched to the
unwrapped Intel compilers, I may be missing some MPI libraries, but this
is sufficient to get through the BLAS and LAPACK generation stage:

FFTW = no
SILENT = no

CPP = /usr/bin/cpp
FPP = /usr/bin/cpp
CC=icc
CXX=icpc
F77=ifort
F90=ifort

LIBS = cprts cxa cxaguard guide guide_stats imf irc irc_pic irc_s
irc_s_pic ompstub svml unwind ifcore stdc++ pthread m ifcore
LIBDIRS = "/data/numrel/software/opt/intel/cc/10.1.015/lib
/data/numrel/software/opt/intel/fc/10.1.015/lib /data/numrel/software/lib"
LD=/data/numrel/software/mpich2_1.3-INTEL/bin/mpif90 -nofor_main

CFLAGS = -g -restrict
F77FLAGS = -align -w95 -f66
F90FLAGS = -align -w95
FPPFLAGS = -traditional
F77_F90_HAHNDOL_FLAGS=-r8
C_OPTIMISE FLAGS="-00"
CXX_OPTIMISE FLAGS="-00"
F90_OPTIMISE FLAGS="-00 -ip"
F77_OPTIMISE FLAGS="-00 -ip"

LIBDIR  = -L/data/numrel/software/lib
-L/data/numrel/software/opt/intel/fc/10.1.015/lib
LDFLAGS = -L/data/numrel/software/lib

PTHREADS=yes

MPI=MPICH
MPICH_DIR=/data/numrel/software/mpich2_1.3-INTEL

SYS_INC_DIRS = /data/numrel/software/mpich2_1.3-INTEL/include
/data/numrel/software/include