[Users] output parameter format

Luca Baiotti baiotti at ile.osaka-u.ac.jp
Fri Nov 4 03:10:00 CDT 2011

Hello,

the request for output of a variable in Carpet (CarpetIOBasic,
CarpetIOScalar, CarpetIOASCII) can be done in a parfile as, e.g.,

IOASCII::out1D_vars  = "THORN_NAME::VARIABLE_GROUP_NAME"

or

IOASCII::out1D_vars  = "IMPLEMENTATION_NAME::VARIABLE_GROUP_NAME"

or

IOASCII::out1D_vars  = "THORN_NAME::VARIABLE_NAME"

or

IOASCII::out1D_vars  = "IMPLEMENTATION_NAME::VARIABLE_NAME"

Any of the above should work (correct me if I am wrong), but I found an
exception:

When requesting output as

IOASCII::out1D_vars  = "TestOutput::testoutput"

for a *public:* or *protected:* variable group of the type:

CCTK_REAL testoutput[nvar] type=GF TimeLevels=1 Dim=3
{
   output
} ""

where nvar is an integer parameter and the thorn name is TestOutput and
differs from the implementation name, Carpet complains that

WARNING[L1,P0] (Cactus): CCTK_TraverseString: invalid group/variable
name 'TestOutput::testoutput' in traversed string 'TestOutput::testoutput'
WARNING level 0 in thorn IOUtil processor 0 host mbaiotti2-2.local
   (line 140 of
/Users/baiotti/Cactus.fresh-checkout/arrangements/CactusBase/IOUtil/src/Utils.c):

   -> error while parsing parameter 'IOBasic::outInfo_vars'

For *private:* arrays of variables it works.

I attach an example thorn and parfile.

Comments?

Luca