[Users] IRC

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at aei.mpg.de
Thu Nov 10 17:37:21 CST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> My problem was that I didn't find an easy way to have it connect
> automatically - I was using Adium in Mac OS.  Adium is a multi-protocol
> chat program, so some of the way it works doesn't fit very naturally with
> IRC, but I didn't want to run a separate program.

In the past, the best IRC client I could find for OSX was Colloquy [http://
http://colloquy.info/]. It's not perfect, but I remember it being quite
good in the past.I know you would rather not run a separate IRC client, but
Adium really isn't an ideal solution right now, so you might find it better
using Colloquy. You can also then hide the chat window (Cmd+H) rather than
minimizing it.

It would be nice to have the channel joined and messages logged even if the
> chat window was closed, but this doesn't seem to be possible  in the
> currently released version (http://trac.adium.im/ticket/12068).  Until
> this is implemented, I plan to just minimize the window.

For message logs, you can always just look at the logs on the Cactus
website.

Another thing which might be useful would be to have commit messages
automatically posted to IRC whenever a commit is made.

Barry