[Users] Contributing staggered prolongation/restriction operators to ET

Christian D. Ott cott at tapir.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 28 17:03:09 CST 2011

Dear Zach et al.,

thank you for your e-mail and your general willingness to contribute
some of your code to the Einstein Toolkit.

This is an open discussion. Te opinions that I am voicing in this
e-mail are my personal opinions and I am not speaking for the ET toolkit
consortium nor the team of maintainers. Others among this team may have
other opinions.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 04:28:14PM -0600, Zach Etienne wrote:

> * Contributing to ET
>
> Though it may not be compliant with the ET coding standards (e.g., we only
> handle the "double" data type), our changes to the Carpet infrastructure
> have been thoroughly tested, and we would be willing to contribute this
> code to the ET SVN. In return, we would like to work more closely with
> those of you who have access to the multipatch "cubed-spheres" code. Would
> you be willing to share this code with us?

Many people and groups have contributed codes and much time to the
Einstein Toolkit project without receiving "a return" in the form of
access to code that is currently not public and nor generally used or
owned by the entire group of maintainers. I think it would be highly
unfair to make such a "trade" with one particular group and I will
personally not support such an agreement.

What you would get -- and what everybody gets who contributes -- is
respect, pride, and acknowledgement (and citations) for contributing
code to the Einstein Toolkit as open source. Should you decide to
actively help with the Toolkit and its maintenance, you will also be
able to co-author a future follow-up ET paper.

Moreover, we have just recently submitted a grant proposal to NSF for
renewal of the grant supporting much of the Einstein Toolkit work done
at LSU, Georgia Tech, RIT, and Caltech. Part of our proposal is to
bring multi-block (cubed-sphere) grids and infrastructure as open
source to the Einstein Toolkit.  So, should we receive funding to
carry out this research/development and should you decide to be
actively involved in this, I think you would be more than welcome to
have early access to the development version of the planned
multi-block improvements.

Best regards,

 - Christian Ott