[Users] Contributing staggered prolongation/restriction operators to ET

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:02:12 CST 2011

Hi Zach,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 04:28:14PM -0600, Zach Etienne wrote:
> as contributing our code.) Having now discussed the issue with everyone, we
> are all very keen to contribute to the ET project where we can, as its
> success will be useful for our own future work, much as the basic
> Cactus-Carpet infrastructure has proven helpful in the past.

Regardless of everything else: are you interested in registering as ET
users: http://einsteintoolkit.org/about/members/ ?

> Though it may not be compliant with the ET coding standards (e.g., we only
> handle the "double" data type), our changes to the Carpet infrastructure
> have been thoroughly tested, and we would be willing to contribute this
> code to the ET SVN.

Please contact me directly for user accounts. You will need them to
upload anything to the ET SVN, even to the 'incoming sandbox'.

> In return, we would like to work more closely with
> those of you who have access to the multipatch "cubed-spheres" code. Would
> you be willing to share this code with us?

The Einstein Toolkit does not contain this code. If it would, it would
be publicly available. As already mentioned, contributing to the
Einstein Toolkit does not mean to get access to some other code in
return. What you do get is acknowledgment and respect. Besides that, you
get more eyes on your code: a good thing because in the long run because
it means fewer errors and shared maintenance and porting work.

I would suggest to start this slowly. I am always happy to see
contributions to the toolkit. The way this usually is handled is to make
the code publicly available first. If you don't have a convenient way to
do that we do provide one just for that purpose. With the code
available, people have a better ground for discussion.

After especially the maintainers had a chance to look at the code they
will decide about the inclusion into the ET, and quite often request or
make changes before that.

Frank