[Users] GRMHD and the upcoming ET workshop

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:37:01 CDT 2011

 Dear ET folks,

We (the Illinois Relativity group) have been following the ET mailing list
with great interest since its inception and were planning to send
representatives to the upcoming ET workshop.  Sadly, we will be too busy
preparing for the Midwest Relativity Meeting, which we are hosting the
following weekend.

We noticed that there is some interest in implementing a vector
potential-based GRMHD algorithm in ET.  Were we able to attend the upcoming
ET workshop to discuss this topic with you, we would have shared some recent
improvements to our vector potential-based GRMHD algorithm, in the hope that
the ET community might benefit.

As many of you know, we currently evolve the vector potential to perform
GRMHD simulations with divergence-free magnetic fields.  We found some major
problems with our original implementation when evolving magnetized binary
inspirals, such as BHNS inspirals.  We discovered that the problems were due
to a zero-speed EM gauge mode, and after switching to another (Lorenz) EM
gauge, we find huge improvements.

We recently posted a paper summarizing our findings at:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.4633

All the best,

Zach Etienne
Yuk Tung Liu