[Users] Meetig minutes

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Sep 26 14:42:40 CDT 2011

When running test case, I would use a configuration as similar as
possible to production runs, so that errors in production runs are
actually caught. There are some differences between debug and
optimized configurations, and these are mostly to help people track
down problems, not to ensure that optimized configurations are
correct. I would thus suggest that running test cases with an
optimized configuration is a must, and with a debug configuration is a
nice addition.

For example, sometimes code is #ifdef'd out in optimized runs, leading
to undefined variables that are well defined when debugging. Another
example is vectorization that is (by default) disabled without
optimization, because without optimization, compilers often do a
really lousy job, and vectorized code thus runs a few times slower
than unvectorized code.

Regarding segfaults in Fortran: why don't unallocated variables lead
to an error in Fortran? Do you refer to Fortran allocation or Cactus
allocations here?

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/