[Users] compiler warning for McLachlan

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Sep 27 11:00:16 CDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> If they have VECTORISE = yes (the proposed default for the new release of the ET) and VECTORISE_INLINE = yes (the current default, which I propose should be changed to "no"), and they try to compile McLachlan, the behaviour will be as Frank saw, which is that you get a warning and the compiler runs out of memory.  If the Ranger head node is configured such that a user can bring down the system by running a program which takes up a lot of memory, then the head node will go down.  This is common for default linux installs (I don' t know why), but Ranger has a ulimit setting of 8 GB for virtual memory, so I think the process will be terminated when it uses more than 8 GB, which is a sensible precaution for a production system.

This depends very much on the compiler, the compiler version, and the
options chosen. A good compiler won't use too much memory when
optimizing; this is really a compiler bug (that we should report).

I regularly encounter cases where a compiler takes a long time, runs
out of memory, or outputs an error message that it stopped optimizing.
Or the compiler crashes, sometimes in debug mode and without
optimizing. What I usually do is either modify the source or the
Simfactory options. We simply need to do the same here. (There's no
need to be afraid that Ranger will explode, it didn't explode in the
past either.)

Frank, which machine was this? Which compiler version? What options
did you use? Could you open a trac issue about this?

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/