[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Sun Aug 19 14:16:04 CDT 2012

Hello Luca,

> could you tell a little more about checkpoint_every_divisor? What and
> where is it?
It is an option of CarpetIOHDF5. Right now there is an option
checkpoint_every that already takes a number iterations as its
frequency. checkpoint_every works the way all other _every options work
in the core IO thorns (ie CarpetIOASCII, CarpetIODF5, CactusIOASCII etc
but not eg Multipole) and triggers checkpointing if the difference
between cctk_iteration and the iteration of the last checkpoint is
larger than the given frequency. checkpoint_every_divivisor writes a
checkpoint whenever cctk_iteration % checkpoint_every_divider == 0 (in C
notation in Fortran this would be the .mod. operator I think).

If you never change the checkpointing frequency and your termination
checkpoints when you run out of walltime are also aligned with
checkpoint_every (not sure why they should though), then there is no
difference between the two. Otherwise checkpoint_every_divisor can be
used to eg. get a checkpoint at a certain iteration number or to make
sure that the periodic checkpoints are written on coarse steps (it does
nothing for the termination checkpoints).