[Users] differences in results between two versions of ET

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Jul 27 11:45:01 CDT 2012

Yosef

As Ian mentioned, there are two changes that may affect this:

(1) The way in which the shape of the buffer region and the restricted
region are determined may be different now, even if a grid has the same
number of grid points. The old way was inconsistent under certain
circumstances. If this is the case, then certain grid points that used to
be defined via interpolation are now defined via time interpolation or vice
versa. You can see such differences if you output the grid structure, e.g.
via setting Carpet::verbose or CarpetLib::output_bboxes. (The resulting
output may be difficult to read.)

(2) Carpet's prolongation operators are implemented differently and may be
more efficient. If so, you should be seeing differences at the round-off
level. If you see differences only at every other point, then this is
likely the case – every second point is copied from the coarse grid, the
points in between are interpolated. Carpet also contains self-tests to
ensure that the operators have the desired order of accuracy.

-erik