[Users] output not overwritten anymore?

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 13 22:00:23 CDT 2012

Hello Erik,

> You could output the current header after recovery unconditionally.
Yes, that would be a solution (and less code, right now I had put in an
explicit check to _not_ write out a header upon recovery unless a new
file is created). CarpetIOScalar should only output the new header if
all_reductions_in_one_file==yes since (a) the old method never changes
headers and (b) some users might rely on there being only a single block
of comments in the files (eg. to open the file in MatLab which is evil
that way and expects that one tells it how many header lines there are
at the top).

I might be able to use Cactus CCTK_ParameterQueryTimesSet (the way that
Carpet does for PUGH::periodic_x) to only output a header if either
outScalar_vars or outScalar_reductions changed (and output a new header
for all variables, not just the ones that changed). I'll give at one
point (unless this is considered high priority, the bug certainly was).