[Users] shrinking of computational domain at recovery

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Mar 26 06:34:43 CDT 2012

On 26 Mar 2012, at 09:43, Kentaro Takami wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to shrink the computational domain at recovery from checkpoint.
> For example, I want to change the domain from initial domain size:
>
> coordbase::xmin   =  0.0
> coordbase::xmax   = 50.00
> coordbase::ymin   = 0.0
> coordbase::ymax   = 50.0
> coordbase::zmin   =   0.0
> coordbase::zmax   = 50.00

> coordbase::xmin   =  0.0
> coordbase::xmax   = 30.00
> coordbase::ymin   = 0.0
> coordbase::ymax   = 30.0
> coordbase::zmin   =   0.0
> coordbase::zmax   = 30.00
>
> Is it possible?
> Is there already such a mechanism?

As far as I know this is not possible using checkpoint/recovery.  You might be able to use the "file reader" mechanism to make CarpetIOHDF5 read data from the checkpoint files as new "initial" data, and in that case, I think the grid does not have to be identical, though the points have to line up (there is no interpolation).  I'm not sure how to use this method -- maybe someone else can help with that.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder