[Users] cactus performance

Jose Fiestas Iquira jafiestas at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 28 22:41:54 CDT 2012

BTW, I want to run at least  one Cactus iteration  (I am not sure how to
measure the time of one iteration), where all floating point operations are
calculated. I need this number in order to have an idea of the FLOPs I
obtain with my runs in another machine.

Do you know a good way to measure Flops in Cactus?
Probably using software installed in LONI machines?

Thanks,
Jose

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Jose Fiestas Iquira <jafiestas at lbl.gov>wrote:

> Hello,
> Regarding performance. I am willing to run McLachlan shortly using CrayPat
> and I am setting the simulation time here in par/qc0-mclachlan.par, like
> this:
>
> Cactus::terminate       = "time"
> Cactus::cctk_final_time = .1
>
> usually this time was 100.
>
> Am I missing something else in setting the time for a short simulation? I
> could not find it in the documentation.
>
> Thanks,
> Jose
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Jose Fiestas Iquira <jafiestas at lbl.gov>wrote:
>
>> Dear Uschi,
>>
>> Thanks. I am right now trying CrayPat. I learned about it some days ago
>> and tried my own N-cody code with CrayPat. I am using now the McLachlan
>> Cactus thorn for my applications.
>>
>> I am just not sure about the way to compile the code before running
>> CrayPat. I was using simfactory for compilation and now I am using gmake
>> directly. Since compilation takes some time, I am waiting for it to finish.
>> Let see if it works.
>>
>> The reason I am interested in Flops is because I want to know if my
>> Cactus application will scale together with my own N-body runs in large
>> machines and reach Petascale.
>>
>> Btw, did you try CrayPat with Cactus? You use gmake for compiling?
>>
>> Best,
>> Jose
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Ursula Gamma <uschigamma at yahoo.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jose,
>>>
>>> I think the best is you use a performance checking tool coming with your
>>> computer. For example  PAPI or
>>> CrayPat (on your lbl machine: