[Users] MPI problem on Mac OS X

Babiuc-Hamilton, Maria babiuc at marshall.edu
Thu May 24 11:14:35 CDT 2012

Hi Bernard,

It's a game of trial and learning from errors. Scott gave very good instructions, but no computer behaves identically. Here is what it worked for me:

1) First, install VisIt 2.4.2.
Go to: http://portal.nersc.gov/svn/visit/trunk/releases/2.4.2/
Download visit-install2_4_2 and visit2_4_2.darwin-x86_64.tar.gz (Ctrl-Click, Save files as)
$ sudo ./visit-install2_4_2.sh 2.4.2 darwin-x86_64 /opt/local/
Password:
Choose a system configuration file……
Enter (1-14):
1
(compiling)
.
.
find: /opt/local//2.4.2+/.visit/bin: No such file or directory
find: /opt/local//2.4.2+/.visit/bin: No such file or directory
visit-install done

2) Now, it's time to prepare your paths:
$ vi ~/.profile
Add to your path:
/opt/local/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/bin
$ source ~/.profile
$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin
$ source ~/.profile
$ sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libmpi_cxx.dylib /usr/lib/
$ sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libmpi.dylib /usr/lib/
$ sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libopen-rte.dylib /usr/lib/
$ sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libopen-pal.dylib /usr/lib/

3) Now, build the Carpet plugin.
$ svn co https://svn.cactuscode.org/VizTools/CarpetHDF5/trunk/ CarpetHDF5
$ sudo ./install
CMake:
CXXFLAGS =
-I/opt/local/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/include/ -I/opt/local/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/include/hdf5/include
LDFLAGS =
-L/opt/local/2.4.2/darwin-x86_64/lib -L/opt/local/lib

Save, and close
.(compiling)
.
.