[Users] ETK Maxwell checkout failing for McLachlan, KrancNumericalTools

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu May 24 11:55:56 CDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 06:44:05PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
> We could also make it easier for people to commit from an anonymous
> checkout.

> How do you
> commit to a different repository in SVN?  Do you need to use "svn
> switch", or is there an easier way?

It depends. When the checkout was done using http you have to 'switch', as
authenticated http is disabled on most svn servers (for good reason).

You can however also checkout anonymously using https. Then there would
be no problem committing from such a checkout. Unlike git/hg you can use
the same mechanism because authentication is only performed for write
operations (at least this is how it is setup on most systems).

However, there is one drawback: https is simply slower than http, the
encryption has it's price. The question is whether we are willing to pay
it - both on server side (higher load) and on client side (longer time
for ET checkout). Also, possible certificate problems would affect a
larger number of people.

Frank