[Users] WaveDemo question

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon May 28 13:24:03 CDT 2012

On 28 May 2012, at 18:34, Comer Duncan wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Well, I have in mind developing/testing on my mac laptop (Lion) and
> doing real computation on the Ohio Supercomputer Center (OSC)
> clusters.  I had tried to get WaveDemo working on my laptop and have
> trouble getting things to build.  So I have now switched to the OSC
> frontend and am trying to get the same demo working there.  So, my
> questions below are relative to building there.
>
> On the OSC machine I have downloaded the development version.  I also
> downloaded the WaveDemo.th.  In the Cactus directory I have done the
> following:
>
> make WaveDemo THORNLIST=./WaveDemo.th  >& makewavedemo.out
>
> with the makewavedemo.out file attached.  The upshot is that it
> detects some fortran compile options it does not like and I think that
> probably is sufficient to make BLAS, LAPACK, and LORENE fail to
> compile.
>
> I have a feeling that there is a need or needs to supply more info to
> make about where things are, e.g. mpi, which fortran (can use ifort
> and the rest of the intel compilers if better), and maybe other
> things.

Yes - for anything but a very simple setup, you need to specify an "option list" to Cactus.  You tell Cactus to use a specific option list at configuration time:

	make WaveDemo-config options=<optionlist>

If you don't specify an option list, Cactus attempts to automatically detect the locations and flags for compilers, libraries etc.

There is more information about option lists (also called "configuration files") in the Cactus documentation (http://cactuscode.org/documentation/usersguide/UsersGuidech6.html#x9-18000B2).

We have a large collection of Cactus option lists for different machines in SimFactory (simfactory.org).  You can take a look at them here:

	https://svn.cct.lsu.edu/repos/numrel/simfactory2/trunk/mdb/optionlists/

I don't think we have one for the Ohio Supercomputing Center, but you should be able to piece one together from the documentation and the examples above.  It can be a bit tricky to get all the libraries and thorns working together, and a number of people on this list have a lot of experience with this, so please ask for help if you get stuck!  If you get something working, it would also be great if you could send us the result, so we can put it in the repository for others to use in future.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder