[Users] meeting minutes

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Nov 16 07:16:45 CST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 08:56:10AM -0800, Roland Haas wrote:
>> Next release:
>> * query on cactususers for suggestions for next release goal
>
> We also talked about trying to look into the number of compiler warnings
> that are generated. I produced a graph showing the status as of the last
> release [1], parsed from the output of a build [2]. Most of the warnings
> are produced from auto-generated code, for shadowed and/or unused
> variables; and Ian Hinder has some ideas about how to fix this. Others
> will have to be looked into by hand.

Many unused variables come from Kranc-generated code.

Many of the warnings about shadowed variables come from thorn Vectors.
When I originally designed Vectors, it was not possible to use inline
functions due to limitations in some compilers. With macros, of
course, one either has to use different variable names in each macro,
or variables are going to shadow each other.