[Users] **large** amplitude changes in WFs from Curie "bbh" parfiles when run in ET_2012_05

Kelly, Bernard J. (GSFC-660.0)[UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY] bernard.j.kelly at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 30 10:07:53 CST 2012

Hi Ian and others. Coming back to this unresolved issue ...

I've looked at 1D metric files from a fairly advanced point in the
evolution, and can see no differences in the metric components from the
two evolutions. It's difficult to do precise differencing, since the grids
are not commensurate, as pointed out before.

More directly, I've looked at the WeylScal4 waveforms along the coordinate
axes, and they show no sign of the amplitude discrepancy. Attached is the
output from psi4 along the x-axis at around 120M in the evolution (Med
resolution).

So it looks like the change is in the Multipole extraction. Diffing the
two Multipole thorns (and ignoring test-suite file changes), I only see
minor changes in the schedule.ccl:

8c8
< schedule Multipole_Calc at CCTK_ANALYSIS after (calc_np,PsiKadelia)
---
> schedule Multipole_Calc at CCTK_ANALYSIS after
>(calc_np,PsiKadelia,Accelerator_CopyBack)

Again: has anyone run the Curie-era paper's "bbh" parameter files with a
later release of ET and obtained *exactly* the same WF amplitudes? Or a
difference within 1%?

Bernard