[Users] meeting minutes

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 17 13:42:22 CDT 2012

Present were: Roland, Frank, Ian, Seth, Eloisa, Bruno, Erik, Peter,
Tanja, Philipp

ET goals/issues:

* tickets/trac:
- we seem to have a relatively large number of quite old tickets
- seem to be doing ok in closing and fixing most current tickets
- advertise existence of trac mailing list to mailing list. It is
currently mentioned on http://einsteintoolkit.org/community/support/ but
not in a very prominent place

* there is a suggestion of moving away from using CCT accounts for
trac/svn etc and instead generate independent ET accounts for this so as
to not share a single password for shell accounts and less-critical
accounts. It would also simplify creating trac-only accounts for users.
Not conclusion was reached.

* we want to keep the regular ET call at a once a week frequency,
otherwise the danger is that participants might forget

* using git repositories instead of svn
- want to support mixed sets of repositories
- general desire to support git through ET. No decision of whether we
want to host these repositories ourself or use an external hoster.
- most likely candidate to switch: GRHydro
- if/when switching, provide tutorial or link to tutorial for new git users
- expect no (or low) impact or read-only users that get a checkout via
GetComponents
- a desire to be able to use git-svn in GetComponents was voiced but not
further discussed. Note that a ticket exists for this
https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/762

* we would like to expand the existing gallery of pictures
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/48081610@N03
* movies would be very welcome

* we would like to provide installation instructions for ET on "common"
OSs: some variant of Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat?) and MacOSX
detailing the packages to install and simfactory option files to use.
Preferably starting from a "default" install of the OS. Some initial
work is on
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simplified_Tutorial_for_New_Users

* want to add gfortran to default simfactory options file (generic.cfg)
* want Cactus build system to probe for gfortran since it is almost
always present and needed for basic thorns, eg. Carpet. Cactus itself
should not require gfortran though

* Frank will not be able to host next weeks call, so Roland will do so