[Users] CarpetRegrid2 movement_threshold

Vassilios Mewes vassilios.mewes at uv.es
Tue Apr 16 08:16:44 CDT 2013

Hello all,

i have got a question about the CarpetRegrid2 process of regridding when
supplying the thorn with information from puncture tracker...

in a recent simulation of BH+torus system i did, the BH was moving
significantly further than the movement_threshold i supplied in the par
file, but Carpet never regridded...it seems to me that the new center is
set at a frequency of regrid_every, but shouldn't it be reset only when the
center has moved further than the movement_threshold parameter? as it seems
to me at the moment, i would have to know the movement of the BH a priori
in order to chose a sensible regridding frequency, because if the BH moves
too little between regrid_every, it will eventually move out of the finest
refinement level..
furthermore, the regridding frequency might change during the run because
the BH is actually accelerating...

i am doing something wrong here or setting false parameters?

best wishes,

Vassili