[Users] Announcement: Llama Multi-Block Infrastructure publicly available

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Apr 30 09:13:34 CDT 2013

The Llama Multi-Block Infrastructure for Cactus <http://llamacode.org/> is
now publicly available under the GNU General Public License.  Llama
provides three-dimensional multi-block capability for Cactus-based
simulations that can be combined with Carpet's adaptive mesh refinement
functionality. Llama decomposes the domain into multiple (potentially
overlapping) blocks with different local coordinate systems. This allows
e.g. spherical domains, spherical excision, adaptive radial/angular
resolution, etc., without incurring coordinate singularities.

Llama provides several patch systems suitable for single and binary objects
in relativistic astrophysics, and is well integrated with the Einstein
Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org/>. Llama was already used for several
publications <http://llamacode.org/research.html>, and we believe the code
is ready to be used in other projects. We are seeking volunteers to help us
add tutorials and documentation, improve error messages, and generally
shake down and brush up the code for a future inclusion in the Einstein
Toolkit.

To aid others in getting started using Llama, we will be hosting a virtual
workshop where we provide an overview of the code and answer questions.
Details will be announced shortly.

Llama constitutes the fruit of a significant effort of several people over
several years. We make Llama public to help modernize the computational
tools used in our community, and in the hope to boost Llama itself by
inviting contributions from everybody. We ask you to acknowledge our effort
by following the citation guidelines described on <
http://llamacode.org/research.html>.

The Llama groomers:

R. Haas, I. Hinder, D. Pollney, C. Reisswig, E. Schnetter, B. Wardell