[Users] ExternalLibraries without tarballs

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Aug 8 19:34:09 CDT 2013

ExternalLibraries thorns containing tarballs can be very large, in particular if the history of the thorn grows and contains multiple tarballs.

I have just tested storing the source tree instead of the tarball in ExternalLibraries/Boost. This seems to work surprisingly well. For example, boost_1_54_0.tar.gz (the current version) has 66 MByte, while a git repository containing the last five versions of Boost as uncompressed source trees has 75 MByte. Clearly, this is very good.

Other advantages of storing source trees are:
- this is what we do for every thorn, so why not for ExternalLibraries (d'oh)
- one can easily look at the source code of an external library
- no need to untar and later delete the source tree while building
- no need to apply patches -- the changes can be made directly in the source tree

In my opinion, this is the way to go. I am currently setting up a new repository of ExternalLibraries/Boost in this way. (Obviously, it is not possible to keep the current repository, since its history is already at 406 MB.)

and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu/.