[Users] Meeting Minutes

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 28 15:49:06 CST 2013

Present were: Frank, Steve, Peter, Roland, Ian, Philip, Tanja, Erik

ET spring workshop:
* will announce ET workshop together with Caltech school on astrophysics
gravitational waves [1] Site is currently under construction so content
may change.
* the new user workshop will be *one day*, Friday July 26th
* the summer school before should cover the theory part, eg. BSSN and
astrophycis and gravitational wave theory
* preliminary program outline is on wiki [2]
* old meeting notes on user workshop:
> * next new users workshop will be attached to Caltech summer
> school on astrophysics. School runs July 22nd - July 26th (incl.).
> * students of summer school housed in dorms, extra attendants will need
> to book hotel rooms (dorms would need to know how many rooms in advance
> [now]).
> * will have 1 day intensive program on Friday (from past experience; we
> want to offer an early bird setup session the day before or before the
> workshop starts, we do not want to loose time on this.)
> * program suggestions:
> - gear towards astrophysics (less binary black holes)
> - consider other components than Cactus, eg. GR1D
> - generic computational methods: OpenMP, OpenCL, CUDA, (since new
> clusters with accelerator architectures will be online by then)
> * a wiki page for the workshop will be created
> (https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/index.php?title=ET_Workshop_Summer_2013),
> please list yourself if you want to volunteer for a section of the workshop
>
> * attach developers workshop after new users workshop, ie. on Saturday,
> Sunday and Monday
> * pick one topic for developers workshop, prepare this in advance, focus
> on this during workshop
* suggestions for the hands on coding are to write a simple center of
mass routine (not the more fancy one we tried before, just one that
produces output to disk).

* developer's workshop right afterwards on Saturday and Sunday. Need
goal for this workshop.

GRhydroMP presentation:
* current plan is to use webex. Instructions on how to use are to follow.
* Erik will be host
* date: next week Feb 5th

[1] http://www.cgwas.org
[2] https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/ET_Workshop_Summer_2013