[Users] Discussion locations

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 29 11:42:43 CST 2013

On 29 Jan 2013, at 18:20, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> Please keep all discussion on the McLachlan BSSN code on this mailing list. This ensures that everybody knows about everything that is going on, and avoid duplicate work.

This brings up a question I've been wondering about for a while.  A huge percentage of the discussion of the ET is happening on TRAC rather than on this mailing list.  This keeps things tidy, with each conversation attached to a single ticket.  Anyone is free to subscribe to the TRAC mailing list (see einsteintoolkit.org) and to view the tickets.  However, it means that most of the discussion of the ET is not seen by most of the users.  What can we do about this?

One logical distinction is between "users" and "developers" of the ET.  Users will subscribe to this mailing list, and developers will see the tickets.  Some have said in the past that there should be no distinction between these two groups.  I suspect that not everyone currently subscribed to the users' list would like to receive the volume of ticket notifications that we currently generate!  Maybe we just need to be better at identifying issues which are of interest to users and well as developers.  Would it work to add the users' mailing list to the CC of such tickets?

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder