[Users] Releases and backporting

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Jan 30 07:26:38 CST 2013

I suggest to have a release branch that gets updated by backports. From
time to time, we create a new point release by creating a new tag.

branch: trunk (may be unstable)
branch: ET_2012_11 (may contain new backports)
tag: ET_2012_11_0, ET_2012_11_1, etc. (tested, created every few weeks or
after a serious error has been corrected)

The download instructions should point to tags. Creating a new point
release would be a non-trivial task, since it involves tagging all
repositories, running tests on multiple machines, updating web pages,
writing an announcement etc.

-erik