[Users] [Commits] [svn:einsteintoolkit] TOVSolver/trunk/ (Rev. 137)

Roland Haas roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 7 13:06:26 CDT 2013

Hello all,

> Log:
>  * remove option to have different gamma and K for different
>    stars. That's physically impossible.
>  * adjust test par files (will do so with GRHydro next)
>  * modify the way solutions are added so that atmosphere cuts
>    are applied after solutions are added. Otherwise one of the
>    stars will have the atmosphere added to it. This breaks symmetry.
This commit (and the following ones) make the tests fail, at least in
subversion (Zelmani is ok since the author *does* provide updated tests,
just not in GRHydr/svn, so I could port over the change).

I am personally generally unhappy about commits that require everybody
to change/update their paramater files unless the change is required to
prevent a bug from manifesting. Removing "[0]" from ones parameter file
is not hard, but will break each and every single one of them. One of
the nice things about Cactus has been that (some parts of it) are fairly
stable and developers take care to not introduce changes that require
each user to update their parameter files (unless the user wants/needs
new features).

I am also not sure I agree with the statement that one cannot have
different Gama or K for different stars. Even if the same Gamma and K
would be needed for all neutron stars (which I also don't fully
understand, why should not a different Gamam or K be a better
approximiation to NS of different massses?) there is still the
possiblilty of setting up two different sorts of stars and evolve those.
Note that I make no statement how to proceed with such an evolution past
the point where the stars would touch. To my knowledge only Ian Hawke
did such simulations in the past, and Ian effective advected the EOS
parameters with the fluid if I remember correctly. If someone with more
expterise would comment that would be helpful.

I would like to revert parts of this patch (keeping the atmosphere
treatment that prevents asymetries in the data setup and seems to be
currently buggy) and restore the possibility to have different K and
Gamma (indep of whether this is physical I don't see a point in removing
this functionality).

Please comment (in private or on the mailing list).