[Users] http only source for GetComponents

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue May 7 21:49:31 CDT 2013

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 06:59:35PM -0700, Roland Haas wrote:
> does anybody know if it is possible to use GetComponents to check out
> (really only download) a thorn from a "dump" transport channel such as
> http right now?

GetComponent only really handles single files using plain http(s)/ftp.
However, it shouldn't be hard to add a 'tar -xJf' or similar for
compressed files. So far just nobody really had the need. I don't think
that recursive gets via wget are a good way to get an entire thorn. It
takes much too long, it generates higher load on the server, and most
likely also uses more bandwidth than a single, compressed tarball.

Frank