[Users] Machine tests

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Thu Nov 14 10:03:30 CST 2013

On 14 Nov 2013, at 16:43, Roland Haas <roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> Hello all,
>
> > I suggest that you run anyway.  It's likely there will be failures
> > (all intel-compiler-based systems are currently showing failures
> > in GRHydro and other tests), so you may as well set up your tree
> > and
> Not all intel systems show the same behaviour. Intel 12/13 based
> systems seem to have few tests that fail and those that fail fail due
> to tolerances being possibly too large.
>
> Intel 11 system on the other hand crash catastrophically, from what I
> can tell so far from the compiler not handling Cray pointers correctly
> (eg the Hydro_InitExcision gives a segfault). So far I have no good
> workaround for the issue. I will have to check if all usage of Cray
> pointers is affected or only the Reconstruction drivers (which is
> where the segfault happens) since they use array slices.
>
> These are not the usual GRHydro failures unfortunately but instead a
> compiler bug. A workaround that does not fail on other compilers is
> required (one workaround is eg to set the size of the leftmost
> dimension of the pointee in question to zero, it almost seems as if
> the compiler actually allocates space for the pointees).

If there is a workaround, that is of course good, but another alternative would be to say that Intel 11 is unsupported with the new features in grhydro, and to update the optionlists to a newer version where cray pointers work.  On some machines, this won't be possible, e.g. tezpur, where intel11 is the latest version available.

In any case, an autoconf test, or a runtime test, that cray pointers are working correctly, would be very nice to have.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder