[Users] global reductions in specified domains

Vassilios Mewes vassilios.mewes at uv.es
Thu Nov 21 03:51:50 CST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM, Roland Haas <roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu
> wrote:

> Hello Vassili,
>
> >> how can i now perform the reduction on this "processor-local"
> >> quantity?
> > You can use the same as for the first example that I gave:
> Also, before I forget again: the reduction result will only be correct
> at "coarse" timesteps ie when all refinement levels are aligned in
> time. For the other steps you will mix current and past values from
> coarse and fine levels (you are doing a 0th order interpolation in
> time). Carpet will to 2nd order interpolation in time for reductions
> if not all data is aligned in time.

yes, i already noticed that when trying things out..

i also got the switching between levels sorted out (i hope, al least there
are no more assertions faults...)

basically my question is whether the local integration of the scalar, ie

LOOP{
rho_in_shell[iradii] += BLAH

}

that has to be run as LOOP-LOCAL (or using the macros to manually switch
the modes) has to be run in the SAME function as the later reduction, which
has to be run as GLOBAL...

is that true? do they have to be in the same function? because then i have
to switch modes again, because i want to do the reduction in a FOR loop
across all iradii, and that would be local again, because the entire
function integrate was scheduled as GLOBAL LOOP_LOCAL...

maybe i am missing things as well..

in the meantime, i have implemented the way used ADMBase using a
loop_counter....

while i trust this method more, it will also be slower than the scalar way,
because i will have to calculate the value of the now gridfunction
rho_in_shell nradii times for every grid point..

best wishes,

Vassili