[Users] remove "old" Tmunu interface

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Thu Oct 17 02:26:57 CDT 2013

On 16 Oct 2013, at 21:52, Roland Haas <roland.haas at physics.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> Hello all,
>
> two releases ago (Oersted) we deprecated the old interface. In the
> last release the default was changed to no longer support the old
> interface.
>
> Should we (in the upcoming release) fully remove the old interface?
>
> The old interface is extremely slow (since for each grid point there
> is a call to CCTK_IsThornActive()) and relies on StaticConformal
> (which almost no other thorn supports and which will likely break in
> unpredictable ways).
>
> Any opinions on this? Or is this too late to remove functionality and
> we should instead do so immediately after the next release?

Major changes should happen immediately after a release, so that people working on trunk find all the bugs, and they don't end up in the release.  This doesn't usually happen, because people are "burnt out" after a release, and then procrastinate this sort of thing until they remember that there is a release coming, and maybe they should get their changes in...

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder