[Users] CarpetRegrid2 with nonexistent radii in some centres

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Sep 24 09:00:38 CDT 2013

Hi,

Suppose I want to set up a grid structure for a BBH evolution using CarpetRegrid2, but ensure that the outer levels never change.  What I usually do is set up two box hierarchies centred on the two BHs, but this doesn't guarantee that the outer levels don't change.  Instead, I would like to have three hierarchies, one for the outer levels, and two for the BHs, where the latter only contain boxes on the finest levels.  I would implement this by not setting the coarser radii for the BH hierarchies, and leaving them at -1.

I was under the impression that this used to be possible, but there is a check in CarpetRegrid2 which prevents this:

  -> The radius of refinement level 1 of region 2 is [-1,-1,-1], which is non-negative

I can't see anything in the code which would make this necessary.  Is it safe to disable this check?

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder