[Users] IllinoisGRMHD Status

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 10:53:42 CDT 2014

Hi all,

I had to call in through Google Voice today, as I have just arrived in
Barcelona for the Sant Cugat Forum on Astrophysics. My connection was not
great, so I report on my progress here.

I fixed a number of compiler warnings in IllinoisGRMHD over the past week,
to minimize the chances of any compiling issues. The only remaining
warnings are completely harmless (e.g., variable FOO may be used
uninitialized). I have verified that IllinoisGRMHD compiles without errors
using GCC (4.7.3), Intel (13.1.3 20130617), and BlueWaters' default PGI
compiler. In addition, I ran Valgrind tests with poisoning disabled, and
zero memory issues were found in my IllinoisGRMHD test case (evolving
random initial data). I also backtraced and fixed a discrepancy between the
ET IllinoisGRMHD code and our old, trusted GRMHD code version.

I am working with Roland to verify that the staggered
prolongation/restriction operators work as expected on AMR grids with 2+
levels of refinement on the coarse grid. He is concerned of potential
issues with restriction communicating data across two or more levels. Thus
far, my tests have focused only on 2-level AMR grids (i.e., one level of
refinement on the coarsest grid). The new tests consist of Nth order
prolongation and restriction of Nth order polynomial data on staggered
grids, testing all four staggerings. I anticipate completing those tests
before the next telecon.

At the moment, I am confident that there will be no issues in compiling the
code on other machines, so would it be okay if we proceeded now to adding
IllinoisGRMHD as an experimental thorn, as planned? That is to say, make
IllinoisGRMHD part of the default ET download for this upcoming release,
but commented out of the default ThornList, with a comment along the lines
of:

"# IllinoisGRMHD is marked EXPERIMENTAL for the $RELEASENAME version of ET,
and it is planned to be incorporated into the next ET release."

Please let me know if there are any objections.
-Zach

Zachariah Etienne
Adjunct Professor of Mathematics, West Virginia University
and
Joint Space-Science Institute Prize Postdoctoral Fellow
Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and
Physics Department, University of Maryland, College Park