[Users] New User, Questions

Peter Diener diener at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Jan 13 13:04:45 CST 2014

Hi Stefan,

We certainly hope the Einstein Toolkit will be useful for you.

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014, sruehe at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de wrote:

> Hallo Einsteintoolkit-Community,
>
> i'm a phd-student in my first year at University zu Kiel, Germany.
> I've read many papers and saw the Toolkit for simulating relativistic
> hydrodynamics at black holes.
> First i have some important qustions and hope you can help me.
>
> Does the BSSN-algorithm regard the hydrodynamic mass as source function in
> the current timestep to calculate the hypersurface of the next timestep?

Yes. The spacetime evolution equations includes the source terms coming
from the stress-energy tensor of the matter. Thus the spacetime evolution
does take into account the matter content.

> Does this work via the TmunuBase?

Yes. The stress-energy tensor is set by the hydrodynamics thorn (GRHydro)
in TmunuBase and read by McLachlan (implementing the BSSN equations) when
needed.

> Is the self-gravitation of the hydrodynamics calculated by the
> perturbation of the spacetime?

No, there is no perturbations involved. As the spacetime is evolved with
the matter sources and GRHydro uses the full metric (through ADMBase) the
code can perform a fully consistent and fully relativistic simulation of
both spacetime and matter.

It is also possible to turn of the spacetime evolution and just perform
a hydro evolution on a fixed spacetime.

> I hope you can help me,
> thank you very much.

I hope this answers your questions,