[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting Minutes

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jul 17 14:53:21 CDT 2014

I don't believe in automated mechanisms.

Carpet has been using this policy for a long time. Many people use it without being told. Others don't -- they either don't care, or they can't be bothered because they have other things in mind when creating a commit, or they simply don't believe in reading commit messages.

And then, there is the more important issue of knowing how to write a good commit message. Some people document their changes in commit messages (because they didn't write comments), others simply describe the changes in detail (as opposed to giving a high-level overview). Some use commit messages as forum to announce new features, or to explain how to use a new feature.

If we truly want to change this, then we should
- have a discussion on how we would like commit message to read
- write this up on a brief, simple wiki page
- refuse patches if the commit message is far below our standards (e.g. is offensive, or "forgets" to mention a major issue)

To make this work, we need patches that are submitted together with submit messages. That is, people would need to publish their commits (e.g. in a Bitbucket clone), and a maintainer pulls them.

-erik