[Users] Einstein Toolkit Meeting Minutes

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:11:31 CDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

>  > * Some of the commits creating tags also introduce changes to the tree
> > (files). These commits were automatically created by the cvs2svn script.
>
> Why is that a problem? Does the conversion choke if commits do multiple
> things at once?

The problem is that tags are not commits, they are supposed to be permanent
pointers to a specific commit. They are never supposed to change and they
cannot introduce changes to the tree. This is conceptually the same in svn,
but not strictly enforced (since tags are really just copies of the code at
another point in the svn directory tree).

The problem happens when multiple thorns each have tags which also contain
changes to the tree. A tag is just a pointer to a commit and can't point to
two different commits at the same time.

The solution I've used in instances where this happens is to create a new
branch and merge all of the commits into that branch.

 > * Some branches/tags (e.g. STABLE, LATEST) were not created at the same
> > time across different repositories. None of the ones that I encountered
> had
> > what I would useful content (e.g. having a STABLE tag pointing to some
> > point long in the past is not particularly useful).
>
> I agree. We would very likely be better off without them.

That makes things easier. I have a full list of tags/branches that have
been omitted from the merged repositories so that we're sure we're not
missing something. Right now that list is (not all of these are present in
all arrangements/thorns):

Branches:
start
El-Kharma
dp

Tags:
LATEST
STABLE
v1
v_1
r1
V1
JTHORN_INIT
JT_2002_08_18
jthorn_20050318
gr_qc
LOCALINTERP_INIT
Rel-0-1

I have now finished converting all of the repositories listed in the
Version Control page of the wiki <
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Version_control>. The results are
available at:
https://bitbucket.org/barrywardell/cactustest
https://bitbucket.org/barrywardell/cactuspugh
https://bitbucket.org/barrywardell/cactusnumerical
https://bitbucket.org/barrywardell/pittnullcode
https://bitbucket.org/barrywardell/cactusbase

A couple of minor things came up in the conversion process:

* I created a merged CactusNumerical as a more difficult test than
CactusBase before noticing that it wasn't listed on the wiki page. It may
be that we don't need this arrangement merged.
* I included both CactusPUGH and CactusPUGHIO thorns (IOHDF5 and
IOHDF5Util) in the same arrangement. It may be that they should be kept
separate.

Barry