[Users] ET_2014_05 fails to build on Linux Mint 17

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jun 26 10:01:08 CDT 2014

Hi

First of all - try disabling the hwloc thorn. You don't necessarily need
it. It might not be the best solution, but the fastest for now.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:22:50PM +0200, Ian Hinder wrote:
> > # Add libnuma manually, if necessary
> > if grep -q '[-]lnuma' ${HWLOC_LIB_DIR}/libhwloc.la 2>/dev/null; then

This only greps ${HWLOC_LIB_DIR}/libhwloc.la which might not be present.
I am not sure about your distribution, but Debian doesn't ship with this
file at all, which should make the above test always fail. While this
doesn't seem right, it shouldn't cause the problem you describe.

What I could imagine is that this test triggers for you, and you do have
libnuma installed, but not libnuma-dev. This would mean libhwloc seems
to (?) need linkage against libnuma, that is also installed, but the
relevant development files are not. In that case, either the test is
wrong (no explicit linkage to libnuma would in fact be required), or you
need to install the development files for libnuma (likely the
libnuma-dev package).

It would be good to know a couple of things about your installation, in
particular the following (with results shown for my Debian workstation):

HWLOC_DIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

$ pkg-config hwloc --static --libs
-lhwloc -lxml2 -lz -lm -lpci

(Note that numa is missing here, but the shared library in fact requires
it. This works because libnuma is installed in a standard location.
Adding -lnuma to the link line would probably make linking fail, since I
don't have libnuma.so installed - while of couse libnuma.so.1 is.)

ls $HWLOC_DIR/libhwloc.*
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.3
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.4
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.5
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.5.0.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhwloc.so.2

$ ldd $HWLOC_DIR/libhwloc.so | grep numa
        libnuma.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnuma.so.1 (0x00007fd82c17d000)

$ nm    $HWLOC_DIR/libhwloc.a  | grep -i numa

$ nm -D $HWLOC_DIR/libhwloc.so | grep -i numa

$ ls /usr/lib/libnuma.*
/usr/lib/libnuma.so.1

$ dpkg -l '*libhwloc*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold |
Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                Version        Architecture   Description
+++-===================-==============-==============-===========================================
ii  libhwloc-dev        1.4.1-4        amd64          Hierarchical view of the machine - static l
un  libhwloc0           <none>                        (no description available)
un  libhwloc1           <none>                        (no description available)
un  libhwloc2           <none>                        (no description available)
un  libhwloc3           <none>                        (no description available)
un  libhwloc4           <none>                        (no description available)
ii  libhwloc5:amd64     1.4.1-4        amd64          Hierarchical view of the machine - shared l

$ dpkg -l '*libnuma*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold |
Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                Version        Architecture   Description
ii  libnuma1            2.0.8~rc4-1    amd64          Libraries for controlling NUMA policy

Frank