[Users] ET_2014_05 fails to build on Linux Mint 17

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jun 26 15:39:48 CDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:19:22PM +0200, Dumsani Ndzinisa wrote:
> Yes, the file  libhwloc.la doesn't seem to exist anywhere in my
> machine despite the fact that I have libhwloc-dev installed.
> I have no idea why this is the case.

This can be perfectly normal. The .la files are not necessary.

> $ ls /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnuma.*
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnuma.a /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnuma.so.1
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnuma.so

So you now do actually have everything you should need. Strange. If
-lnuma still isn't found, /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu is not in your
standard search path (which would be odd, but possible. Do you by any
chance try this on a multi-arch installation with i386 being the default
(so that the numa library that is x86_64 cannot be linked, and you would
need to install the corresponding i386 library instead - not that I
would suggest that).

> Of course, it would help to eventually understand why -lnuma also
> comes into the liking sequence.

True. From the configuration script and the absence of the .la file I
would think it needs to be something else than that.

On a single machine (like a workstation or laptop), I found that _not_
using hwloc can actually be an advantage anyway in some circumstances
(multiple MPI jobs _not_ all tied to the first core).

Frank