[Users] Meeting Minutes

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue May 13 12:29:30 CDT 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:16:52AM -0700, Roland Haas wrote:
> During the phone call we reached agreement to include:
>
> * PAPI: want documentation, include
> * MemSpeed: want documentation, test case, include
> * dylib: include if compiles, WARN loudly if it cannot run at runtime
> * F5: want documentation, include
> * WaveToyCUDA: keep commented out, assuming testsuites and docs
> * Boost: objections to size of repo. ran out of time to reach conclusion

I don't think it would be wise to include them now in the upcoming
release. Too many things would need to be re-tested and could go wrong.
However, please feel free to add them now to the development version so
that we don't face that problem again in about 5 months.

> During the phone call we reached agreement to remove:
>
> * uncontroversial: move ADMConstraints into EinsteinArchive and replace
> with ML_ADMConstraint which provides the same functionality. Reason:
> ADMConstraints uses old Tmunu interface (optionally) which is deprecated
> and will be removed. ADMConstraints also uses ADMMacros (is 4th order
> only etc) which are hard to maintain (we also found a bug in 2010: r107
> "Undefine the guts instead of the declare")

This is marked as deprecated, but still included. It should stay that
way, and should be removed in the current development version now.

> * uncontroversial: remove old Tmunu interface. Reason: eat up ~30% of
> total CPU time since it contains a CCTK_IsThornActive in the innermost
> loop
> * uncontroversial: retire ADMCoupling since it is only used for the
> deprecated Tmunu interface, FRIEND mechanism in Cactus is also no longer
> advertised as good usage. Requires fixes in Exact.

Same applies here.

> * DistortedBHIVP, IDAxiBrillBH, IDAxiOddBrillBH, RoatingDBHIVP: mark as
> archived using comment. Remove from manifest (comment out) if tests
> fail. There are objections to moving the repository.

I marked them now in the release branch. To be gone by the next release
(meaning now in the development version).

This (including a lot of the stuff we agreed on to remove) is not ideal,
but it didn't pose problems while testing, but could if we now remove
it from the release. Let's phase them out the gentle way. I don't see
harm done by doing so.

Frank