[Users] GRHydro cleanup

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Thu Oct 2 16:51:49 CDT 2014

On 2 Oct 2014, at 12:31, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> I created a pull request for a small cleanup of the build requirements
> of GRHydro.
>
> (1) Was anybody notified about this new pull request?

Not unless they asked to be.  If you want to be notified about things that happen to a repository, you need to subscribe to those changes by "watching" the repository.  This is done through the little "eye" icon in the top right of the repository overview page (https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/einsteinevolve/overview).  You can watch pull requests, commits or forks. You would have to do this for each repository, which is clearly not convenient for us, since we are a project with many repositories.

The functionality to have pull requests sent to an email list is not implemented (https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/10279/provide-pull-request-email-hook).  You can instead set up a hook to POST to a URL on each pull request.  We would need to provide such a URL which sent the information to the mailing list.  Maybe Frank, or someone with some PHP enthusiasm could set up such a service?

Alternatively, one person could watch all the repositories (potentially via a script), and set up an email filter to forward the notifications to the list.  I prefer the POST hook approach (which would also probably be set up using a script) as it doesn't rely on a single person's email account.

> (2) Can (should?) this be integrated with TRAC? Or should we switch to
> using Bitbucket's issue tracker?

I think it's more important that we have all the issues in one place, than to have integration with bitbucket.  I don't know how well set up bitbucket is for projects with so many repositories, and its issue tracker is fairly rudimentary.  We probably need to do the gluing ourselves, as there doesn't seem to be anything currently available.  As a framework, encompassing various repository types, hosted in various places etc, it's unlikely that we find a nice out-of-the-box integrated solution.  If we had a single repository, things would be a lot simpler, but then we wouldn't have a framework, we would just have a code.

http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder