[Users] Spam filter on ET mailing lists

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Apr 28 13:25:27 CDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 11:02:40AM -0700, Roland Haas wrote:
> Since one could already only post while being subscribed to the list,
> does that mean that even mails from "known" (ie subscribed) mail
> addresses (yes this can be spoofed) will be subject to the spam check?

Emails from non-subscribers were (and are still) held in a moderation
queue, that a normal member doesn't see. It is these queues that simply
got too noisy with spam to prevent an effective manual sorting.

Yes, all mail now goes through the spam filter. However, it was trained
with the last 4-5 years of 'good traffic' on the list...

Frank

Details (again, only if you care):

spamassassin score >10: drop
                   > 5: moderation
Mailing list members get 2 point bonus (-2).

These numbers can easily be tweaked. I am mostly attacking the obvious
spam emails that arrive their in the tens each day.