[Users] build of debian on Parallels on mac

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Aug 17 03:20:28 CDT 2015

On 17 Aug 2015, at 08:21, Roland Haas <rhaas at aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>> This happens a lot.  It would be good to be able to put something
>> into the optionlist which told the MPI thorn that it should use an
>> auto-detected library, rather than building the library.
> Most thorns support a XXX_DIR=NO_BUILD option which then (depends on the
> thorn) may require you to actually specify the location of the libraries
> or may still allow searching for it. Basically all auto-detection (with
> the exception of MPI which also seems to fail here) should fail on
> modern Debian/Ubuntu systems that support "multi-arch" installations
> since the libraries are no longer in /usr/lib but in /usr/lib/x86-amd64
> or so. Bruno was working on fixing this before the last release but the
> results were too fragile to be included in the current release branch.

I know about the NO_BUILD option, but was under the impression that it doesn't do or mean what it appears to mean.   I can't find any evidence of this at the moment, but I thought there were at least some thorns which would attempt to build anyway, even if you had set NO_BUILD.  This would be the case if the thorn didn't know about the NO_BUILD option (external library handling is very nonuniform, with each library having to implement the same logic), but I thought it also happened for some thorns which did know about the option.  I might be misremembering though.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin