[Users] Meeting Minutes

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jun 2 10:02:57 CDT 2015

Hello all,

> Indeed.  If you (still) have access to Mathematica.  I just don't see
> the point of deliberately breaking backward compatibility, even in
> the case where the old behaviour was not in agreement with the
> documentation.  What is the benefit of doing this?
I would have very much liked to be able to make this behaviour an error,
however I think for the flesh, we will need to support this behaviour
for quite a while even after we fix Kranc. Note that this particular
issue can easily be fixed by users by modifying the Kranc generated
files even when one does not have access to Mathematica anymore (or not
at all) so that the cost of breaking things is low (since we are not
actually removing functionality).

I would certainly think that we want the warning (and lots of them) as
well if we hope that this will ever go away, since otherwise the thorns
never get fixed, as evidenced by the fact that the Kranc ticket still
exists. Only not having this in the documentation is not enough it seems
since the possibility of using quotes was never documented (and only
works for doubles, not for integers) and yet was used.