[Users] More Bizarre Scheduling Behavior in a Carpet Run (Bug?!)

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 10:40:50 CDT 2015

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your feedback.
> You use the ADMBase variables, right?
My ADMBaseMcLachlanTester thorn (
math.wvu.edu/~zetienne/ADMBaseMcLachlanTester.tar.gz) reproduces this
issue, and uses *only* ADMBase::alp as input. I would encourage everyone
interested to take a look at this thorn, as
1) there's nothing complicated about the ADMBaseMcLachlanTester thorn at
all (67 lines of code, including ccl files, includes, and whitespace)
2) the included parfiles run on a single desktop computer needing only 5GB
of RAM
3) it takes only ~15 mins to evolve to timestep 192

> Could you output the variables your analysis depends on, and see if the
nan values come from there?
Absolutely! I just performed a run with ADMBaseMcLachlanTester,
setting myadmbaselapse
to alp every 64 iterations, and confirmed that there are *no* undefined
(nan) values in the (IOASCII 2D output of) ADMBase::alp (at any iteration,
upto and including iteration 192), while again, there are a very large
number of undefined values in myadmbaselapse at iteration 192...

So myadmbaselapse is not undefined because ADMBase::alp is undefined.

-Zach

Zachariah Etienne
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
West Virginia University