[Users] Exact meaning of prolongation tags

Federico Guercilena guercilena at th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Oct 26 10:51:12 CDT 2015

Hello,

could anyone tell me a few details regarding the Carpet prolongation
operators? It appears there's no real documentation about them. Looking at
Carpet source code I can see these operators are available:

none
sync
restrict
copy
Lagrange
ENO
ENOVOL
WENO
TVD
Lagrange_monotone
STAGGER011
STAGGER101
STAGGER110
STAGGER111

The "polynomial" ones (Lagrange, ENO, etc) appear to be self explanatory,
more or less. I'm particularly interested in the exact behaviour of "none",
"sync" and "copy". "none" and "sync" are the same thing apparently. I find
the "restrict" operator very confusing, since these are supposed to take
care of prolongation.

I'm asking because in a thorn I'm working on, a certain GF has prolongation
set to "None". This resulted in buffer zones on finer grids not to be
initialized (full of NaNs) when switching on mesh refinement. Although I
think I found a workaround, I'd like to take care of this by using some
already provided mechanism, if available.

Thank you very much,
Federico Guercilena

--
Federico Guercilena