[Users] Odd CCTK_VarDataPtrI behaviour?

Federico Guercilena guercilena at th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Oct 28 09:11:45 CDT 2015

Hi Roland,

thanks for the reply, it was actually a false alarm: I performed some
thorough checks and everything behaves as it should. The odd behavour in my
code was the result of a "static" keyword that I overlooked.

Thanks again,
Federico

> Hello Frederico,
>
> > CCTK_VarIndex (example_gf[0]) --> 180
> > CCTK_VarIndex (example_gf[1]) --> 181
> >
> > However when the index is fed to CCTK_VarDataPtrI to get a pointer to the
> > grid function, it always points to the 0th component. To get the pointer
> > the component I wanted, I had to increment the pointer by the correct
> > amount.
> >
> > This not a major inconvenience, but it is quite counterintuitive. Is
> there
> > a reason for such behaviour?
> Sounds like a bug to me, namely I wonder what would happen if you were
> to pass "example_gf[1]" to say CarpetIOHDF5::out_vars.
>
> Can you check what the results of CCTK_VarDataPtrI(cctkGH, 0,
> CCTK_VarIndex("example_gf[1]")) and CCTK_VarDataPtr(cctkGH, 0,
> "example_gf[1]") is and if they agree? At the very least I would have
> expected that they agree.
>
> Yours,
> Roland

Federico Guercilena
Institut für Theoretische Physik
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität
Max-von-Laue-Str. 1
60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Telephone: +49 69 798 47887
Email: guercilena[at]th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de