[Users] Exact meaning of prolongation tags

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri Oct 30 14:33:58 CDT 2015

On 30 Oct 2015, at 20:00, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> none: Do nothing during synchronization, prolongation, or restriction; the respective grid points remain untouched, and if not otherwise defined, remain undefined. This is
> commonly used e.g. for integer values that are calculated or determined pointwise.
>
> sync: Synchronize only, do nothing for prolongation or restriction. This is similarly useful e.g. for integer data.
>
> restrict: Only synchronize and restrict from coarser to finer grids, do nothing during prolongation. For vertex centred data where restriction is an injection, this can also still be used for integer values. Otherwise this may be useful for data that are not needed in prolongation regions, but where the coarse grid has data worse than the fine grid, e.g. for constraints.
>
> copy: Copy from the nearest neighbour instead of interpolating. This can likewise be used for integer data.
>
> All other settings define actual prolongation operators.

So really we should think of the "prolongation" tag as a more generic "how to treat this group during mesh refinement operations"?  Would it make sense to introduce a new name for this tag, to avoid confusion?  We would of course continue to accept the old name, for backward compatibility.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin